Media in our World

New Media this Week

Throughout this week I have been keeping track of my social media usage, and boy has it been enlightening! A day in the life of Becca involves a lot of constant media and a consistent flow of me picking up my phone, even if it is simply for a quick 15 second check in. 

Our world depends heavily on the use of social media, mainly for easy communication, and I am not an exception. Due to guest speakers in my social media course I have been shown just how substantial social media's role in the world can be. Specifically for activist groups and those hoping to make a change, social media provides an outlet to bring similar minded people together and form the beginnings of real change. However, though I consistently use social media, it is almost never for meaningful uses like this. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily, but my usage could surely be more beneficial than it currently is. 

For me, daily social media consists of constantly checking snapchat and responding to my friends (even the ones I am able to see in person) as well as opening tik tok or Instagram when I'm bored. Following my use of social media and listening to speakers this week has truly highlighted how I'm not using my socials to rise up and make the change I wanna see or anything chivalrous like that. 

Off the top of my head the main beneficial use for social media that I take advantage of besides communication is promoting myself in the world of sports. Specifically for my water polo career I am able to use twitter and Instagram to get myself out there and receive benefits because of it. 

It can be extremely difficult to assess yourself and be critical of your own social media use. My generation is know for having our noses stuffed into our phones, ignoring the world around us. Through tracking my social media use this week this has become especially apparent. It has been an enlightening week indeed. 


#Screenagers


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn about the Country of India!

3 Tips for Future D1 Athletes