Social Image

 Social Media Insecurities

Did I get enough likes on my Instagram post? Do I keep enough streaks on Snapchat? Do people like my VSCO pictures enough to repost them?

These are just some of the questions constantly floating around in my brain when I open up these apps that dictate so much of my life. Each post and caption has to be perfectly thought out because that is the persona I am sharing with the world. Sure, I may be having a crappy week, but as long as I look happy in this Instagram picture it will be ok, right? This is a detrimental perspective to have on life and social media, but I know I am guilty of it at times. I try to keep the same image on all of my social media platforms, but more often than not that image I have created does not truly show my life in reality. The simplicity of being able to click the post button for a picture of you grinning ear to ear while having tears rolling down your face makes it to easy to show a fake life. 

Having this attitude when it comes to social media can certainly lead to a fake image, but this is not necessarily a bad thing - no need to air your dirty laundry all over social media after all! This aspect of social media is truly something that people have to realize is fake on their own, and not hold themselves to the standards of other peoples' profiles, because the reality is the majority of profiles are in fact, a fake persona. 

As an athlete, I have a whole other social media image separate to my personal Instagram/Snapchat image. Though similar, my athletic/professional image is more capable of leading to a career or inspiring other athletes. Posting for my professional image contains a lot more information on stats, awards, and my personal experiences in the world of Division One athletes. 

This idea of impression management is a concept seen all over my generation due to our dependency on social media. The main cause of many body issues and insecurities, this portrayal of fraud perfect lives is a true problem. How to solve it? A good question! There are many influencers that have made head way on this issue, but the only real way for change is for average users like me to leave the social "fakeness" behind.

My fortune today :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn about the Country of India!

3 Tips for Future D1 Athletes

Media in our World